Monday, June 09, 2008

Azza Burger

Azza Burger

Since my cash frequently goes out to this stall, I think it most appropriate to be dedicating a post to the one and only Azza Burger.

Roadside burger stalls are a dime a dozen in Kuching and most of them taste the same, but there exists in Kuching a elitist clique of roadside burger stalls. The cr
è
me de la crème, the cherries on the top, the star on the top of the X'mas tree. Call it whatever you want, but these burger stalls stand out from the rest of the crop.

Arguably the best roadside burger stall in Kuching for me is Azza burger, located conveniently in front of a 24 hour convenience store, at a traffic light in front of Waterfront.

Best thing about it is that it opens til the wee hours of the morning. It has helped to satisfy my craving for roadside burgers which I get during the most unorthodox of hours. Azza has even motivated a group of us (which included girls) to scale the fences of our school compound and walk for 20 minutes (back and forth) to the burger stall at 2 AM in the morning. Though admittedly, I guess it was more of the sense of adventure that motivated us to do that.

Azza is somewhere up there in the ranks along with the likes of Sunny Hill Ice-Cream, Curry House Roti Canai and McDonald's Sausage Egg McMuffin. I'm probably gonna have a wet dream soon about making sweet love to some hot chicks, all the while stuffing Azza Chicken Egg Full Cheese into my mouth. Sweet.

In the words of Chester, I am giving Azza a huge ego-masturbation indeed.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have Burger Times. I officially boycott that burger stall which ironically is the only chain roadside burger stall to my knowledge (it's available at most coffee shops). I do not care that they have unashamedly ripped the name and logo of Burger King. What annoys me about them is that you have to wait a fuckin' long time for their burgers. Most burger stalls are 2 man stalls but Burger Times only has 1. Not only that, last time I checked, their prices were slightly pricier compared to their competitors. All this despite their burgers being just mediocre. They can say what they want about how their cook their eggs differently from other stalls but to me it's just a gimmick and in fact it doesn't taste as good when you cook your egg separately from the meat patty instead of wrapping it around the patty.

I have a feeling they're feeling real good about themselves because the Borneo Post ran an article about their burgers a while back, so they think they can get away with all that. Bollocks. In my opinion, the newspaper picked them not because their burgers were good but rather because they were the only burger stall to have a proper shop (Times Cafe) and their egg gimmick
(as to the less informed, most burger stalls would taste the same, so the newspapers were looking for a burger stall that had a gimmick).

Anyway, have I mentioned that Azza also sells tasty nasi lemak? I haven't tried it myself (not a nasi lemak person) but according to friends, they have some really mean nasi lemak.

All this from a company that started off selling reload cards (if my sources are reliable). Wicked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home