Thursday, February 14, 2008

Random Shit Part 1

Almost two months of non blogging, so here's some random shit from my mind.

It's funny how I blog so much during STPM and yet now that I have all the time in the world to do shit, I'm not blogging. I say it's because when I need to do stuff I don't like doing (like studying during STPM), I find ways to get out of studying, so I start blogging.

I've come to realise that I blog too formally at times and pay too much attention to details and stuff. I can take hours to post a post (Hmm..so maybe that's why I seldom blog). Do I have slight OCD? Screw that shit..I've always advocated the use of Manglish and Singlish as I consider those informal, rojak languages to be a symbol of cultural identity and something to be proud of..so screw decorum and bring on rojak posting! (Am I making sense?)

Speaking of cultural identity, am I the only one that feels aggrieved that a lot of people nowadays, especially youngsters, are speaking Mandarin in Kuching? The lingua franca in Kuching has always been Hokkien, and the Hokkien dialect spoken in Kuching is very special, it's different from the Hokkien spoken in Taiwan (as shown on those Hokkien dramas on tv that never seem to end. Bold and the Beautiful anyone?). In Sarawak, Kuching is the only major place where Hokkien is spoken. Sibu speaks Foochow and Miri speaks Mandarin mostly. West Malaysia is mostly Cantonese or Mandarin. Of the very few places that speak Kuching Hokkien, the most notable are Singapore and Penang, though even the Hokkien there is a bit different from ours.

Therefore, I can say that Kuching Hokkien is one of the cultural identities of Kuching. With more and more people in Kuching speaking Mandarin, one of Kuching's cultural identities is being threaten, especially when those speaking Mandarin are the younger generation. That's the story behind why I like to proclaim myself as the president of Kuching Kong Hokkien Uoa Kong Huey (Kuching Speak Hokkien Language Association).

End rant.

2 Comments:

At Thu Feb 14, 03:16:00 AM, Blogger yomi said...

president of Kuching Kong Hokkien Uoa Kong Huey!!

LoL! first time hear of such thing.

 
At Sat Feb 16, 03:36:00 PM, Blogger mental.tsunami said...

Haha..I'm on a crusade to preserve the Hokkien language in this city of ours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home